Monday, December 19, 2011

I H-A-T-E my stairs!

If someone were ask me what I don't like about my farm house I could have a list as long as my arm. It could be the 70's paneling or the carpeting. Maybe it could be what I call the "George Jetson kitchen cabinets" (Not all custom is good.) Old wallpaper, plaster falling down, lack of electrical outlets, wet basement, no heating/cooling upstairs, every window but the new ones I just put in are broke.............. okay I am going to stop here because this is getting kind of depressing and you get the idea. All the things that I just listed are just a mild annoyance compared to the stairs that run up through the middle of the house separating the living room and dining room with beautiful 70's paneling. So maybe I don't hate the stairs as much as I hate the chopped up floor plan.

I was talking to my BFF about this and he assured me that I could move the steps. He also assured me that I could do anything I wanted if I throw enough money at it. Nice. Now I am all about doing things myself but knocking down an interior wall that used to be the original exterior wall of the house is a little beyond my skill level. The thought of the second story crashing down on the main floor causes apprehension.

So enter a couple of local boys that own a company called "Gitter Done" (no joke) I have known the Gitter Done boys for a long time and they do good work. They are fair and fast. A good combo. They came out and looked at the stairs and they also assured me that they could move the stairs for about $2500.00. I just sat there dumbfounded. Wow. $2500.00. Wow. That is A LOT of money. Wow. Sticker shock. More wow........crap. The fact that there was beer involved made it a little easier but wow.

But moving the stairs also opens up another possibility. I can put the access to the basement directly under those stairs for a stacked stair set up which is the most efficient use of space when it comes to steps. Then I can take out the existing the basement steps and add another 4 ft to the new laundry room. Now that has some WOW factor!!! Now I was on board with the Gitter Done boys!!!!! Hell yeah! Lets do this thing now!

Since the Gitter Done boys are so good they are in big demand. Right now they are finishing up with outside work and have promised me that they were going to the stair project when we get our "first major snow storm" That sounds great but we are having one of the nicest winters that I can remember.

I know waiting on the Gitter Done boys is going to delay my upstairs laundry room project but I think it is worth it . Right now there is not enough room to set the washer and dryer side by side. My daughter has graciously agreed to have Christmas at her house since mine is a little tore up right now.

So I shall patiently wait but as much as I want the stairs done I will NOT pray for snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment