I have to apologize for the horrible pictures. I took them with my new fancy-schmancy cell phone and then I E-Mailed them to myself. Well it is hard to make them bigger without pix-elating them. I never claimed to be a compute genius.
So I decided early in this project that I was going to replace all of the 2-wire electrical with Romex that is actually grounded. I guess that was an easy decision when all of the wire was BEHIND the walls and I couldn't see it but when I started tearing into stuff it became quite obvious that this was going to be a bigger challenge than I had first anticipated. This house had been rewired at some time and upgraded up from knob and tube.
In order to do the laundry room I had to tear out the living room wall which was the point of origin that the wiring had come from. So her is what you get when you tear out:
1 layer of ceiling tile
1 layer of 1 by boards
1 layer of 3/8 drywall
1 layer of lathe and plaster.
Yes, you read that right, there was 4 layers of material. And a million pounds of dust! It was horrible!
Then I did something that might now have been the best decision. I decided that we do NOT need a dumpster and we could bag it up and take it to my work and put it into two 2-yard dumpsters. What a dumbass move on my part. I am going to leave it at that.
I had my buddy come out and run the electricity up to the new laundry room and I am finishing putting in the outlets and switches. I should be hanging drywall this weekend. There is a God.